Finnish (mother tongue), english, portuguese, french, italian, spanish, german
- Executive Board member of the International Society for Geriatric Oncology (SIOG)
- Past-President and present Antiemetic Study Group chair of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC)
- Board member of ECCO - the European CanCer Organisation
- Member of the Board (Honorary President) of AFSOS (French-speaking Association for Oncological Supportive Care)
- Member of the ESMO Faculty
- Board of Directors member and Coordinator of the SPCC (Sharing Progress in Cancer Care) programme of the European School of Oncology (ESO)
- Medical degree from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Fellow at the Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson
- Founding chair of the Medical and Radiation Therapy Department at the European Institute of Oncology in Milan
Matti Aapro received his medical degree from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland. He was a fellow at the Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson and the founding chair of the Medical and Radiation Therapy Department at the European Institute of Oncology in Milan.
Dr. Aapro is presently Member of the Board of Directors of the Genolier Cancer Centre, Genolier, Switzerland. He serves the International Society for Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) as Executive Board Member. He is one of the directors of the European School of Oncology (ESO). He is member of the board of ECCO - the European CanCer Organization. He is past-President of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC), and is now its Antiemetic Study Group chair for 2017-2019, and honorary President of the French-speaking Association for Oncological Supportive Care (AFSOS). He has been member of the Board of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and of the Board of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).
Dr. Aapro chaired the scientific and organizing committees of UICC’s (then called International Union against Cancer) World Cancer Congress of 2008 in Geneva, and 2010 in Shenzhen (China). He is a member of the ESMO Faculty and chairs the ESMO 2017 Palliative and Supportive care track. Dr Aapro is member of the Scientific Committee of the Advanced Breast Cancer meeting ABC4 (2017). Dr. Aapro is Editor-in-Chief of Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology
, as well as Associate Editor for the geriatric section of the Oncologist
. He is also founding editor of the Journal of Geriatric Oncology
. He is editor-in-chief of qualityoflife.elsevierresource.com. He is past Associate Editor for Annals of Oncology,
continuing on its editorial board,
and member of several other editorial boards. He has authored more than 250 publications and his major interests are new drug development, breast cancer, cancer in the elderly, and supportive care.
Dr. Aapro is Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Tampere (2013) and has received the 2010 Acta Oncologica Award and the 2012 ASCO B.J. Kennedy prize, as well as the Distinguished Services Award of MASCC (2016).
Dr Aapro's primary areas of interest include breast cancer, cancer in the elderly, new drug development and supportive care.
He has written more than 250 peer-reviewed papers and over 350 scientific abstracts.